As mentioned by my last review on the Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander I typically buy a new tool because there is a need for one. This was the case with the Grizzly G0458 – 18” 1 ½ HP Single-Phase Open End Drum Sander which was $868.75 when I picked it up and is now $1110.66. I had seen quite a few other makers on Instagram indicating they enjoyed this model and that was my biggest selling feature. I’ve always had a higher opinion of a product that is praised by others, and this was no different. My need, however, was simple, I needed a quicker way of sanding larger items such as cutting boards and glued up panels. Sure, I could continue to use my orbital sander however that just takes way too much time and within one pass on the drum sander, all the glue is gone in seconds. Call me sold.
Features on this drum sander that appealed to me were:
- 110V, single-passed, 15 Amps power specifics. This was important to me and probably important to a lot of hobbyist woodworkers that don’t have a sub-panel or 220v running in their workshops/garages.
- Dust collection built-in. While I don’t have dust collection yet, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the dust port and the bag that comes with it works. It’s a lot better than some of the other “built-in” dust collection features on other tools
- Size is decent for a hobbyist woodworker and would be even more accommodating with a mobile base. Size is 50” H x 35” W x 24” D.
- Variable speed on the conveyor. This is important so that you don’t burn the wood which is often a major problem with drum sanders I’ve read. Being able to control the speed will help ensure the right feed rate for your specific wood species
- The last and probably best feature is the open end on this sander. While I’ve not tested the limits of stock through the sander, the site indicates you can sand stock up to 36” wide which is pretty awesome.
I have not used this sander enough to have gone through the change process, however, from the video, it looks simple enough. The sander comes pre-loaded with 100-grit sandpaper which is decent however be warned it will leave some pretty good marks on your piece which will need to be sanded out via your orbital or another sanding device. I will most likely up the grit to 120 so I’m not having to remove as many marks from the 100 grit today.
Again, I cannot stress this enough, ensure you get a mobile base if you have a smaller shop or want to move it around. Without it you’ll be pulling on the base which is quite difficult to move around.
Grizzly Industrial G1014ZX - 6" x 48" Belt/9" Disc Combo Sander with Cabinet Stand
- Motor: 3/4 HP, 110V/220V, single-phase, 3450 RPM, 12A/6A
- Cast iron table, disc and body
- Cabinet stand with storage locker
- Dual position table
- Dual voltage motor prewired for 110V
Grizzly Industrial G0864 - Variable-Speed 1" x 30" Belt/ 6" Disc Sander
|EAN List||EAN List Element: 0690550343964|
|Product Group||Home Improvement|
|Product Type Name||TOOLS|
|Title||Grizzly Industrial G0864 - Variable-Speed 1" x 30" Belt/ 6" Disc Sander|
|UPC List||UPC List Element: 690550343964|
Grizzly Industrial G0547-4" x 36" Belt/6" Disc Combo Sander
- Belt size: 4" X 36"
- Cast iron base
- Disc size: 6"
- Motor: 1/3 HP, 110V, single-phase, 3450 RPM
- Table size: 6 1/4" X 8 7/8"
Grizzly Industrial H6070-1" x 30" Belt/5" Disc Combo Sander
- 1/3 HP, 110V, single-phase, 3450 RPM motor
- Both belt and disc sanding tables tilt 45 degrees
- Belt sander table size, 5-1/8" x 5-1/8"
- Disc sander table size, 4" x 7-5/16"
- Removable belt platen and idler roller guard
Grizzly Industrial G0739 - Benchtop 1/2 HP Oscillating Spindle Sander
- 5 rubber sanding drums: 3/4", 1", 1-1/2", 2", 3"
- 6 sanding sleeves: 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2", 2", 3"
- 6 table inserts: 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2", 2", 3"
- 3 spindle washers: 5/8", 7/8", 1-3/4"
Grizzly Industrial G1276-6" x 48" Belt/12" Disc Combo Sander, 1725 RPM
- 2,500 F.P.M. belt speed
- 3" dust port
- Base measures: 16-1/2"W x 14"D
- Table size for belt: 7" x 12-1/2"
- Table size for disc: 7" x 16-1/2"