I’m not what would be considered a conventional fine woodworker but I do make an effort to refine my skills. A scroll saw is the perfect addition to the shop when fine and precise cuts need to be made. I purchased the Delta Scroll Saw (link is to better version) on the local used market for $50. I saw a good brand name and a tool I wouldn’t have sought out in the new market and took the opportunity.
Having no experience with these machines, I took a hands-on approach and learned what I could through examination. The saw offers two speeds, a pivoting table, a blower to clear the work area and ample room for larger workpieces. Perhaps it’s my inexperience or maybe I’m pushing the limits but I cannot keep a blade intact for more than 5 minutes. It takes straight blades as opposed to pinned blades, this takes some finessing. Blade changes and setting the tension are quite simple with the supplied tool and everything is very accessible. Be sure to keep a firm grip on the workpiece.
This is something that doesn’t see regular rotation in the shop but proves its value when it can. The retail market prices these in the $200+ price range so I consider it a bargain at what I paid for it. Blades are very inexpensive and come in bulk packs be sure to have plenty on hand.
Delta 40-560 2 Speed 16" Scroll Saw Instruction Manual [Plastic Comb] [Jan 01... [Plastic Comb]
- REPRINT of the manual listed in title
- This is NOT an original as originals are out of print, but we use the best scans available.
- Professionally printed in Black & White on Laser Printer using High Quality 22lb Paper.
- Plastic Comb Bound with clear plastic on front and back covers to help protect manual
- All manuals are in public domain or printed with permission.
DEWALT DW788 1.3 Amp 20-Inch Variable-Speed Scroll Saw - Yellow
- Double parallel link arm design dramatically reduces vibration and noise for extremely accurate cuts
- Exclusive tool free blade clamps allow blade changes in seconds. Depth of Cut (inches): 2 inch
- On off switch, electronic variable speed, flexible dust blower, and blade tensioning lever all located on front upper arm
- Arm design pivots from back of the saw to front, shortening the arm movement for smoother, quieter operation
- Arm lifts so blade can be easily threaded through the material for inside cuts
Delta Power Tools 40-694 20 In. Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- Electronic variable speed can be adjusted from 400-1,750 SPM for a wide array of cutting applications
- Dual parallel link arm design reduces vibration reducing over and under cutting improving accuracy and quality
- Upper arm lifts and locks in the raised position during blade changes or while adjusting blade position for fret work
- Tool-free blade clamp allows for quick, easy blade changes in seconds. Bevels 0° - 45° left and right. Motor: 1.3 Amp